Full Job Description
ABOUT SILICON VALLEY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
Silicon Valley Community Foundation advances innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems. As the largest community foundation in the world, we engage donors and corporations from Silicon Valley, across the country and around the globe to make our region and world better for all. Our passion for helping people and organizations achieve their philanthropic dreams has created a global philanthropic enterprise committed to the belief that possibilities start here. Learn more at siliconvalleycf.org.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This is a full-time, exempt level position in Mountain View, California.
SVCF’s work environment is based on a holistic wellness approach and therefore, has embraced a hybrid remote/office work environment. All SVCF team members must be based and hold residency in California and must be able to regularly attend team and staff meetings, trainings and other gathering in Mountain View when required.
Submit a resume with cover letter explaining your interest in the position and what you would bring to Silicon Valley Community Foundation and its team. Be prepared to share a portfolio of previous work examples relevant to the essential job duties, upon request.
Reporting to General Counsel, the Senior Legal Assistant will perform a variety of higher-level legal and administrative duties. Additionally, they will manage the operational aspects of SVCF’s board and committee meetings, including meeting and logistical coordination, record keeping, content creation and distribution, and calendar management.
The ideal candidate is highly detail-oriented professional who thrives as a self-starter and problem solver and has the ability to work independently and collaboratively. They have superior interpersonal skills, sound judgement and discretion. They should have an experience supporting a board of directors, key constituents and/or executives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Legal Support and Risk Management
- Draft and/or edit other legal documents as directed by General Counsel and triage legal inquiries and contract requests; respond to inquiries (reviewing materials, etc.) or escalating to General Counsel as needed.
- In collaboration with General Counsel, maintain organizational management of legal documents and contracts, ensuring an effective system for storing and sourcing of critical information.
- Review, analyze, and organize complex factual material and other substantive legal documents; perform legal research as necessary.
- Prepare and file annual reports and charitable solicitation registrations to several state agencies.
- Liaison with insurance broker to secure required policies to mitigate risk and liability exposure.
- As directed by General Counsel, coordinate and work with external counsels.
- Manage the logistics of all board and committees of the board meetings and special events.
- Manage systems and structures to support smooth board operations (e.g., board portal, governance manual, standard communications, calendaring).
- Provide support to General Counsel in setting board priorities, topic discussions, and timelines.
- Attend and manage the production of board and committee meeting materials, ensuring a best-in-class meeting experience.
- Draft minutes for all board and committee meetings.
- Maintain accurate corporate records and files.
- Support board orientation and on-going board development; manage and maintain board training tools, resources and content.
- Manage and maintain board surveys and evaluations.
- Provide support to board emeriti activities, including recognition for outgoing board members and ongoing engagement opportunities for former members of the board.
- Other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLSETS
- At least 5 years of experience supporting legal departments, board/governance activities, executives and/or leading high-level, complex projects or initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Commitment to the values, goals and mission of Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
- Expert level proficiency in Adobe Acrobat and MS Office Suite, with particular emphasis on Power Point.
- Capacity to be proactive, by anticipating needs and always looking ahead; a self-starter.
- Superior communication skills; copy editing when needed.
- Superb judgment, impeccable integrity and the maturity to handle sensitive information with care and confidentiality; complete discretion is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills to manage a broad range of relationships with care, to read situations well, and to treat others with respect and humility.
- Superior organizational skills, with attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, knowing how to prioritize and adjust timelines based on demand and other circumstances.
- Ability to absorb high volume of information from a variety of sources and to synthesize the key elements.
- Collegial, team-oriented, willing to pitch in as needed and support challenges at all times with a high level of flexibility.
- Comfortable in an environment that is flexible and with circumstances that will require a high tolerance for ambiguity.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND INCLUSION
Silicon Valley Community Foundation has a deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that is representative of our community.
SVCF is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, political affiliation, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
SVCF is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process and to perform essential job functions, of employment, please contact [email protected] Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format and/or using specialized equipment.