Alexa International is looking for a Sr. Language Engineer to join our ASK International Data (ASK ID) team to drive speech and language solutions for developers and customers of Alexa Skills.
We are seeking someone with strong analytical skills and language technology experience to help us create, maintain and improve SLU artifacts used by 3P skill developers all over the world. A successful candidate should be able to measure, analyze and solve complex SLU problems in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment and be able to communicate effectively with business leaders and colleagues in technical and non-tech roles.
We are looking for someone who will be able to lead by example, provide technical/scientific guidance to the rest of the team and lead improvement efforts to optimize existing NLU development processes or invent new ones.
A day in the life
A typical day in this role involves prioritizing and evaluating incoming triage requests and working with our operations team to build, review and release updates/fixes to our suite of 3P SLU artifacts. You will be involved in conversations with Solutions Architects, In-Country Managers and Product teams related to the design and implementation of new features. You will also partner with Language Data Researchers and other Language Engineers to identify the data points needed to assess the performance of our SLU products and you will be expected to use the resulting metrics to inform future improvements, expansion and troubleshooting.
About the hiring group
The ASK International Data team is responsible for measuring and improving the Spoken Language Understanding (SLU) experience for developers and users of Alexa Skills, across all Alexa marketplaces. We have a team of linguists, language experts, and scientists that work to deliver language model parity for skill builders of all Alexa-supported languages, and to provide insights into the SLU experience for Alexa Skills users in all marketplaces to highlight opportunities for science and business teams alike to delight customers.
Specifically, the Sr. Language Engineer will:
· Create and maintain SLU artifacts for custom skills (e.g. writing grammars, building FSTs etc)
· Work with ASK ID colleagues and ASK Product teams to design and launch new features by extending existing annotation schemas to cover new areas
· Own large-scale, high-impact cross-team initiatives that enhance the current ASK UX
· Use modeling tools to bootstrap new functionalities
· Identify and implement improvements to current build-and-release procedures
· Provide day-to-day coordination of data collection efforts, including planning, scheduling, and reporting
· Query, measure and analyze data for accuracy, regression and throughput
· Handle competing requests from a range of data customers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· MA or PhD in Computational Linguistics or equivalent field with computational emphasis.
· 5+ years experience with computational linguistics in the field, including language data processing, semantics, or syntax
· Experience in writing grammars and building FSTs
· Practical knowledge of version control and agile development
· Experience programming in Python, Perl, or another scripting language
· Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
· Experience working with speech and text language data in multiple languages, including ones that you do not speak yourself
· Experience writing and executing database queries and data analysis processes (SQL, R, Matlab, Unix etc.)
· Experience using data to support business decisions
· Experience independently owning and delivering on large-scale, cross-team projects
· Expertise in building ontologies, taxonomies, and semantic relation frameworks
· Experience with statistical language modeling
· Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and very detailed oriented
· Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
· Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept reprioritization as necessary
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation